Chakra: Root- Colour: Red- Name: Muladhara
Red is a very feisty colour for many reasons. It is the colour of the Base/Root Chakra, also known as Muladhara. It is a masculine energy. The best way to work with the Root Chakra is to find what sort of things that you need for survival, your “base needs”, and try to keep up with those. For example, I need food to survive, therefore I should find some good way to get food. This can be through a job, from a shelter, or even from a food pantry. It would be considered “wrong” to steal food just to get by. There is always another way, you just have to find the way to do it.
Red is the colour of sexuality. This is one of the main reasons this is a feisty colour. Sexuality doesn’t have to mean sex all the time. It can mean lust or it can mean love. Most of the time it means lust and there is another chakra that means more love energy. You don’t have to have sex to express your Root Chakra. One can work with candle magic (red candles) or some incenses (some say patchouli is a good oil to work with).
I personally experience the Root Chakra from the hunger side of things. I have a food addiction and I worry that my Root Chakra is unaligned. I haven’t gone to a reiki practitioner before but I have heard from many people my lower chakras are very messed up and that my Throat Chakra is very large in place of those (more on that in later posts).
It’s fun to work with the chakras. You just need to find out what it is you really “need” and not what you “want.” These can become very confusing. I suggest meditating on the various things you think you need and want.
To meditate on the Root Chakra:
• Ground and center
• Begin breathing deeply, from the stomach, as this is where the Root Chakra lives. Be careful with your breathing. You are going to want to put your hand over your stomach and chest if necessary to make sure you are breathing from your abdominal muscles and not your chest. You will do this for about five to ten minutes, depending on how fast you are able to get into a relaxed state. You will tell yourself to slowly turn off the tightness of your muscles, one by one. For example: Tell your toes to relax and feel them just relax as your thoughts. Then move to the foot itself; Relax the foot and feel it relax until you know that you are full prepared. Move your way up the body in this manner until you are finally above your head and you are completely relaxed. If you have to re-relax a body part, don’t feel bad. We all have that problem at some point.
• Let your mind wander in whichever way you prefer. Allow thoughts to come to you and address them in a manner that you will come back to that thought. This is a very complicated task. You don’t have to get your mind “clear,” just able to concentrate on what needs to be concentrated on.
• Imagine a red glow from the bottom of your body; your feet all the way up to your genitalia area. Your Root Chakra is based right in that area. Feel that colour wash all over you. Feel the passion from this colour, the lust, the base survival instinct, the need to eat and drink, the need to have a roof over your head for safety reasons. Let this all sink in and ponder these things while you are meditating.
• When you feel you are good with this experience (you should use your gut feeling to know when this is ready. Your gut will always know best. “Your heart is blind, your mind is stupid, but your gut will always be honest” I always say) you will want to come out of your meditative state. To do so, start to wake your body up in the opposite manner of how you put yourself under. You will think something along the lines of “Wake up scalp” and feel your scalp slowly waking up.
• Make sure you ground and center the excess energy. You do not want to be carrying things around with you too much. But DO enjoy the feelings you have received and thank your Root Chakra for this love.
• After waking up, make sure you have a small snack and drink, most preferably with natural or organic properties as these will benefit you best, and enjoy the feelings you are having. I like to have a piece of fruit and some organic juices when I meditate.
I will explain in more detail some things in other blog posts. But for now, I want you to enjoy the feelings/vibes you get from our survival chakra.
Here’s to working with Muladhara!,